Mitzvah Projects to Help At-Risk Teens in Israel
Dolev Homes for Youth at Risk is an Israeli charity that runs projects for 450 at risk Israeli teens and is based in the towns of Dolev, Ashdod, and Modiin, and recently in Jerusalem. Since 1988, Ulpanat Dolev, a residential treatment center and school, has served teen girls with its unique combination of education, therapies, and vocational training. More recently a Home for Graduates in Modiin was added, as well as Bet Reshet, a co-ed vocational training and afterschool programs in Ashdod plus a young women’s residence and program in Jerusalem.
We can help you plan a creative chessed activity for your daughter’s bat mitzvah that will contribute to Ulpanat Dolev, our school where every girl is befriended by a family in the town. Likewise, we can help your boys plan a chessed project to help at risk teen boys and girls at our vocational center in Ashdod. We will recommend appropriate experts to work with your teens and their guests. Ideas include:
For GIRLS to help Ulpanat Dolev girls:
- Ride a horse/donate to equestrian therapy at Ulpanat Dolev
- Organize a Zumbathon talent show to raise money for music therapy equipment: check out Naama’s Bat Mitzva Branch Campaign for Ulpanat Dolev:
http://www.rootfunding.com/campaign/naama-kobrins-mitzvah-project. You can also organize a Branch Campaign on this site: www.rootfunding.com, for your Bar/Bat Mitzvah!
- Create a bulletin board or mirror/help furnish a dorm room
- Prepare a meal, food demonstration/have a bake sale/help supply equipment for student’s vocational bakery program.
- Hold a fashion show/equip students with clothes/raise money for them to go shopping!
- Learn simcha or other dancing/equip the dance studio
- Have fancy hair styling/equip the cosmetology program
- Learn to knit and crochet/create warm scarves for the girls at Ulpanat Dolev
- Learn to sew, decorate aprons/equip kitchen or student bakery store
For BOYS and GIRLS to help Ashdod needy teens at risk:
- Raise money for sports equipment, exercise equipment for new indoor gym
- Sponsor weekly “Dogs for People” animal therapy sessions to combat stress and trauma
- Organize sport activities/provide sport supplies for their athletic program (soccer tournaments in Deal, NJ for past two summers have supplied new computers).
- A visit to Dolev: A Bat Mitzvah girl can participate in a crafts’ project with the girls at the school – if the family comes to the school they can also plant a tree with a plaque in her honor.
- A visit to Ashdod: Boys and Girls can sponsor and participate in a sports day, sailing, hiking, or planting activity with teens at Bet Reshet in Ashdod.
For further information about any of these ideas contact:
- In the U.S.: Partners Reaching Out to Ulpanat Dolev, a U.S. organization, Carole Oshinsky, president:email@example.com, 914-844-4981. Tax-exempt donations can be sent to P.O. Box 1356 Riverdale Station, Bronx, NY 10471.
- In Israel: Mimi Tsadok, Director of Development, Ulpanat Dolev: firstname.lastname@example.org,
USA Telephone: 1-718-303-2067, Mobile: 011-972-528-990546, Fax: 011-972-2-5631026